Tom Yam Goong (Thai Soup)2014-03-21
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
This soup packs a lovely spicy kick!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
* 2 Tablespoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, finely sliced
* 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/4-inch piece ginger, finely grated
* 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into thin strips
* 1 cup dried, sliced Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 2 1/2 cups water for at least 30 minutes
* 1 can coconut milk
* 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then thinly sliced
* 3 cups roughly chopped bok choy
* 3/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
* 1/3 cup thinly sliced Thai basil
* salt and pepper, to taste
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened. Add the crushed red pepper, ginger, and bell pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the reconstituted mushrooms, all or their soaking liquid, the coconut milk and the zucchini.
2) Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the zucchini has softened. Stir in the bok choy, cilantro, Thai basil and cook, stirring, until the bok choy has begun to wilt. Season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste…. you’ll probably have to add much more salt than you’re used to because we’re not using any pre-seasoned broth.