Simple Homemade Bread Cones2014-03-20
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
These yummy home made bread cones are great to fill with your favorite cream cheeses, soft spreads, hummus, etc. I’ve tried this with a smoked salmon filling and it is simply divine!
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
2-1/4 tsp instant yeast
3-1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 Tbs milk
1) Heat water and milk in microwave to scalding (not quite boiling)
2) Pour into mixing bowl, and allow to cool slightly so you don’t kill the yeast.
3) Add oil, sugar, and salt. Mix until well blended.
4) Add in beaten egg and 2 cups of the flour, mixing well.
5) Add in instant yeast and mix well.
6) Allow to sit about 10 minutes uncovered.
7) Now, start to slowly add in more flour.
8) When dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl, allow it to mix for about 8 minutes. (or knead by hand at this point)
9) Add a tablespoon of oil to a clean bowl, tipping to coat bottom.
10) Place dough into bowl, flipping to coat both sides with oil.
11) Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk – about 1 hour.
12) Remove dough and knead a few times to release bubbles.
13) Cut the dough into 8 – 12 pieces, Allow to rest about 5 minutes.
14) Take each portion and roll into a rope from 24 – 36” long (depending on the size of your tubes)
15) Roll ropes around the greased cream horn tubes, starting at the bottom as shown.
16) Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment (or silpat liner)
17) Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
18) Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds if desired.
19) Bake in a preheated 350° oven for between 18 to 22 minutes – watching closely for overbrowning.
20) Place on wire racks to cool completely before removing tubes.
21) Fill cooled bread cones with your favorite cheeses, or sandwich fillings as you like!