Panko Stuffed Crusted Chicken2014-01-31
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
1 cup of low fat ricotta cheese
Small handful of baby spinach, chopped
Small handful of grape tomatoes, diced (remove the seeds if possible)
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Dash of oregano
2 chicken breasts
Italian seasoned panko crumbs
2 tsp olive oil
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Combine the ricotta, spinach, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, basil, garlic, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3) Rinse the chicken breasts then cut a long horizontal slit along the center of the thin long edge of the chicken breast, nearly through to the other side. Fill the cavaty of the chicken breast with the ricotta mixture.
4) Season each side of the chicken with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Carefully dip the chicken breasts in the panko crumbs until both sides are evenly covered. Close the slit together with toothpicks (or if you are like me and realize that you don’t have toothpicks, simply break some kebab sticks in half and use them).
5) Heat the olive oil in an OVEN PROOF skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown, flip the chicken over and place the skillet into the oven. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.