Mascarpone Strawberry Stuffed French Toast2013-12-28
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 8m
- Ready In : 23m
- 1 unsliced loaf of Challah or white bread
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces strawberry preserves
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ pound fresh strawberries
- ½ teaspoon milk
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Slice four 1 ½ inch slices from the loaf. With a long sharp knife, cut down through the center making the slit almost to the bottom and sides without poking through.
- Hand mix the mascarpone and strawberry preserves and place in a small piping bag. Pipe the filling equally between the four slices pressing the tip into the slit and squeezing as you lift up. Then place the knife tip in and push it up and down a bit to move the filling away from the opening.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk until combined.
- Place the four stuffed slices into the egg mixture turning so all sides are coated. Leave them to soak up the egg while you work on the next step.
- Trim and slice the strawberries and place in a bowl with the ½ teaspoon of milk, balsamic vinegar and powdered sugar. Toss slightly or gently mix with a rubber spatula. Let this mixture sit while you cook the French Toast.
- Find a pan or bowl or heat proof glass dish that you will use as a cover over the cooking French toast.
- On a flat non stick pan, bring heat up to medium and melt butter to coat surface. Once the pan is hot and butter is just starting to brown, place French toast onto pan and cover with prepared lid.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, remove cover, flip and place cover back on. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove cover and check. Both sides should be just nicely browned but not dry or over cooked.
- Remove to serving plates and cover with strawberry mixture. Serve immediately. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if you’d like.