Homemade Peanut Butter Cups2014-01-05
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Make those delicious Reese cups at home! Tastes even better
12 paper muffin cups
one 12-ounce pkg. milk chocolate chips
1 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
optional: crushed graham wafers!
1. Cut the top half off of the muffin cups so that they are shallower.
2. Pour the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and melt them in the microwave: Microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir the chips gently, and let them sit for a minute or so. If the chocolate needs more melting, microwave those chippies again at half power for 30 seconds. Stir gently. Continue the process, stirring gently as you go. But be very careful not to overcook the chocolate or it’ll seize up on you like day old Carolina roof tar.
3. Using a teaspoon, spoon a portion of the chocolate into the middle of a muffin cup. Draw the chocolate up the edges of the cup with the back of the spoon. Coat the entire inside of the muffin cup with chocolate and place it into a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining muffin cups and then put the whole muffin tin in the fridge so that the chocolate hardens.
4. Combine the reduced-fat peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add crushed graham wafers to the mix if you are adventureous!
5. When the chocolate in the muffin cups has hardened, pop the sweetened peanut butter into the microwave oven on full power for 1 minute. This will soften up the peanut butter so that it easily flows into the cups.
6. Spoon a small portion of peanut butter into each of the chocolate-coated cups. Leave room at the top for an additional layer of chocolate, which we’ll add later. Pop the candy back in the refrigerator to harden the peanut butter. This should take an hour or so.
7. When the peanut butter filling has hardened, re-melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on half power for 30 to 60 seconds. Use a teaspoon to spread a layer of chocolate over the top of each candy. Chill the candy once again to set up the chocolate.
8. Finally, remember to take the paper off the outside of the peanut butter cups before eating them.
Makes 12 candies.