Easy Chicken Gyros (Pita Wrap)2014-02-16
- Prep Time : 35m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 50m
This delicious recipe is the perfect Mediterranean snack wrap, it reminds me of the great food carts in and around our city. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
1 cup plain Yoplait® Greek yogurt
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
drizzle of olive oil
squeeze of lemon
chicken For the marinade:
2 teaspoons minced garlic
lemon juice of one (2-3 Tablespoons)
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tablespoons Yoplait® Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper
1 1/4 pounds skinless, chicken breasts
For the gyros:
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup red onion, diced
6 pitas or flatbread
1) Shred the cucumber. Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving so the flavors can meld.
2) To prepare the chicken marinade, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well.
3) Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat.
4) Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The flavors will infuse the chicken the longer it marinates. Discard marinade after use.
5) Cook chicken in a skillet on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until done. Once the chicken is cooked, tranfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into small strips.
6) Warm pitas in the microwave. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and onions.