- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Oh this French stew is to die for. Ooh la la!
3 lbs – chicken pieces
freshly ground black pepper
8 – bay leaves
2 sprigs – fresh rosemary
5 cloves garlic, peeled (3 crushed, 2 sliced)
½ bottle – dry red wine of your choice
flour, for dusting
extra virgin olive oil
4 – anchovy fillets
½ cup – green or black olives, pitted
2 x 400 g – chopped plum tomatoes, canned
1) Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and put them in a a bowl or a resealable plastic bag, add rosemary leaves, bay leaves and 3 cloves of crushed garlic. 2) Marinade overnight or at least for one hour.
3) Preheat oven to 350F/180C
4) Take chicken pieces out of marinade, dredge them in flour and brown evenly in hot olive oil in a large pan. Reserve the marinade. Chicken doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through at this stage. If all of your chicken pieces don’t fit, brown them in batches and remove on a separate plate.
5) Add remaining sliced garlic, anchovies and olives to the pan and cook for a minute.
6) Add canned tomatoes, reserved marinade and chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil and put it in the oven at 350F/180C for 1 hour.
7) Serve with crusty bread or rice. Chicken Cacciatore is also delicious with Borlotti beans as a carb free option.