Best Chefs Salad2013-12-29
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
The works! Chef’s salad consists of hard-boiled eggs, a variety of meats (such as ham, turkey, chicken or roast beef), tomatoes, cucumbers and cheese, all served on a bed of lettuce.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- I small or half of large head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced ultra thin
- A few very thin slices of red onion
- 1 small stalk of celery, cut into thin slices
- Few very thin slices of green bell pepper
- Few very thin slices of yellow or orange bell pepper
- ¼ pound Virginia ham, sliced ¼ inch thick and cut into strips
- ¼ pound deli chicken or turkey, sliced ¼ inch thick and cut into strips
- ¼ pound Swiss cheese, sliced ¼ inch thick and cut into strips
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into eight wedges
- Three hard boiled eggs, cut in half
- 1 avocado peeled, cored and cut into eight wedges
- 8 pitted black olives
- ½ pound bacon cooked crisp
- Our Honey Dijon Ranch Dressing (see recipe here), or your favorite salad dressing
- Slices of good crusty bread, for serving
1) In a large bowl, toss both lettuce types and place on your serving platter, piling it to the center like a mountain.
2) In any combination you want, add each of the salad ingredients. We put ours together in the order of the ingredients and topped with our honey Dijon ranch dressing – but it is totally up to you!
3) Having all the meat piled towards the center is how Jack remembers this dish being served in more formal food service settings, but you can serve this however you would like.
4) Serve with good crusty bread.