Authentic Belgian Waffle Recipe2013-12-28
- Yield : 10
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
1 tbsp granulated sugar
3 tsp active dry yeast
½ cup whole milk warmed to 110-115 degrees
1/3 cup water warmed to 110-115 degrees
4 Cups flour
2 Large eggs
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 cup butter (2sticks)
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp pure vanilla
1 ½ cups Belgian Pearl sugar (“Lars Own” is the easiest to find in the US)
(optional cinnamon liege waffles) add 2-3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
**Use a dough hook for all mixing
1. Mix warmed milk, warmed water, yeast, and 1 ½ cups of flour in a mixer for 3-5 minutes until contents have a pasty consistency.
2. Let contents sit in mixer bowl for around 60 minutes. Will rise substantially in bowl.
3. Add the following ingredients to the top of mixture during the 60 minutes without mixing into contents (let them sit on top). Remaining 3 ½ cups of flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, and eggs.
4. After letting stand for 60 minutes add the vanilla and honey then mix entire contents together for around 5 min.
5. Let dough rise for 4 hours at room temperature.
6. After dough has risen for 4 hours, stir the dough down, let all the gases deflate. Then place dough into a cake pan or leave it in the mixing bowl and cover dough with butcher paper, or something similar. Next, weigh the dough down with plates and anything else that weighs a few pounds in your refrigerator and place dough in your refrigerator overnight.
7. The next day add the pearl sugar. It is easiest to kneed in by hand but can also
be done with a dough hook in the mixer.
8. If cinnamon is wanted kneed in at this point. After pearl sugar has been added.
9. Separate the dough into 10 evenly sized balls.
10. Let dough balls sit with pearl sugar for 90 minutes before cooking.
11. If you have a liege waffle iron (cast iron) cook dough balls at 365 – 370 degrees for 2 – 3 minutes or until golden brown with a caramelized outside.
OPTIONAL: Garnish with strawberries and melted chocolate (or chocolate syrup)